The smartphone is much more than a simple piece of technology to get the user connected with the rest of the world. Today, it is a true camera, with more and more quality.
There are smartphone brands that stand out in this segment, but what are the current models that best photos are able to capture? Meet the 5 best in the market.
Smartphones with 3 or 4 cameras at the rear are now very common in the various ranges and each has a function allocated. The main camera is usually a wide angle, there is almost always an ultra wide angle and, finally, we can have cameras dedicated to portrait mode or with optical zoom capabilities.
In general, it is this format that the brands offer and the top models already cause many users to leave the camera object in a corner.
Based on the ratings of the specialized site DxOMark and the tests we have already developed on Pplware, today we leave the list of the five models with the best photographic results in their set of rear cameras.
Top 5 smartphones with the best photo camera
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
The Huawei Mate 40 Pro, in tests on Pplware, is considered the smartphone with the best camera today. This model is available with a Kirin 9000 5G processor, has a fantastic OLED screen of 6.76 ″ with a maximum refresh rate of 90Hz.
Despite being an Android smartphone, it does not have Google services available, but it does offer all the services of the Huawei ecosystem, which are increasingly robust. It should also be noted that this Huawei model has a 4400 mAh battery with fast charging at 66W, allowing, in addition, wireless charging and reverse charging.
As for the cameras, which we will soon show in detail, the preliminary results are absolutely fantastic. The front camera is 13 MP (aided by a TOF sensor for portraits) and records at 4K at 60 fps, at full resolution. The main camera, which makes this the best model for photography, has the following configuration:
- Wide Angle: 50 MP, f / 1.9, 23mm, 1 / 1.28 ″, 1.22µm, omni-directional PDAF, Laser AF
- Ultra Wide Angle: 20 MP, f / 1.8, 18mm, PDAF
- Periscope and Telephoto: 12 MP, f / 3.4, 125mm, PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom
- Video: 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120/240 / 480fps, 720p @ 960fps, 720p @ 3840fps, HDR, gyro-EIS
Finally, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro is available in Portugal for a price around 1250 €.
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
The Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra is an Android smartphone with MIUI 12 user interface. It has a 6.67 ″ OLED screen with a FullHD + resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate.
It comes equipped with the Snapdragon 865 processor and offers versions with 8, 12 and up to 16 GB of RAM. The battery is 4500 mAh with 120W ultra fast charging (Quick Charge 5). Of course, it also supports reverse and wireless charging.
The front camera of the Mi 10 Ultra is 20 MP and, in this case, records at 1080p at 30 fps, at full resolution. The rear module consists of four chambers with the following specifics:
- Wide Angle: 48 MP, f / 1.9, 25mm, 1 / 1.32 ″, 1.2µm, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
- Ultra Wide Angle: 20 MP, f / 2.2, 128˚, 12mm, 1 / 2.8 ″, 1.0µm, PDAF
- Periscope and Telephoto: 48 MP, f / 4.1, 120mm, 1 / 2.0 ″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom, 120x hybrid zoom
- Telephoto: 12 MP, f / 2.0, 50mm, 1 / 2.55 ″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- Video: 8K @ 24fps, 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120/240 / 960fps, gyro-EIS, HDR10
Unfortunately, the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra is not available on the national market, nor is there a forecast for that to happen. Still the Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro, which is available in several stores for around € 1000, is also an excellent option for those looking for a Xiaomi smarphone dedicated to photography.
Huawei P40 Pro
The Huawei P40 Pro is therefore equipped with the HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G processor of 7 nm + and, regarding internal storage, it offers 128, 256 or 512 GB, with 8 GB of RAM. The 6.58-inch OLED screen with a resolution of 1200 x 2640 pixels, and in addition, can be used with a refresh rate of 60Hz or 90Hz, the latter being more useful during games.
The battery is 4200 mAh with fast charging technology at 40 W and wireless charging at 27 W. In addition, it also allows you to charge other wireless devices also at 27 W using wireless reverse charging technology.
In the topic of cameras, the smartphone then has a 32 MP front camera with f / 2.2 aperture, also aided by a ToF sensor. The rear module is presented as follows:
- 50 MP with f / 1.9 aperture – 23 mm wide angle (Omni-directional PDAF, OIS)
- 12 MP with f / 3.4 aperture – telephoto periscope (PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom – up to 50x)
- 40 MP with f / 1.8 aperture – 18mm ultra wide angle (PDAF)
- 3D ToF Camera
- Video: 2160p @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30 / 60fps, 720p @ 60 / 30fps, HDR, gyro-EIS
The Huawei P40 Pro can currently be found under € 800. This model has already been analyzed in detail here at Pplware. You can read the full review:
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
New generation Apple iPhones appear as proposals of great photographic quality. Thus, in fourth place comes the iPhone 12 Pro Max, which evidently brings behind it the Pro model, since they share the same Apple A14 Bionic processor and the photo modules are quite similar.
In the evaluation of DxOMark, there is a small difference of two points in the evaluation, which is essentially reflected in the autofocus, more efficient in the Pro Max model. In addition, this model presents a better exposure and texture capture than the Pro model, but nothing very significant.
Specifically, the iPhone 12 Pro Max camera has the following features that make it one of the best photo smartphones:
- Wide Angle: 12 MP with f / 1.6 aperture, 26 mm (Omni-directional PDAF, OIS)
- 12 MP with f / 2.2 aperture – telephoto (PDAF, OIS, 2.5x optical zoom)
- 12 MP with f / 1.4 aperture – 13mm ultra wide angle (PDAF)
- LiFAR 3D ToF Camera
- Video: 4K @ 24/30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120 / 240fps, 10 ‑ bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60fps), stereo sound rec.
It remains to be noted that the front camera is 12 MP and records at 4K at 60 fps, the battery is 3687 mAh with 20 W fast charging and is therefore available from € 1279.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
Another model that enters this top 5 is the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G. Although there are other models with excellent photographic scores, the truth is that they are not available in Portugal. Thus, we highlight one of a very popular brand that meets the requirements of this top.
Today you can already find the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G for around 1000 €. It comes equipped with the Samsung Exynos 990 processor and is available in 12 GB + 128 GB, 12 GB + 256 GB and 16 GB + 512 GB versions.
The “Infinity-O” screen is a 6.9-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X, with a resolution of 1440 x 3200 pixels and houses the 40 MP camera. The battery is huge, with a capacity of 5000 mAh. It also has fast charging technology at 40 W and wireless charging at 15 W. Furthermore, it also allows you to charge other wireless devices at 9 W via Wireless PowerShare.
The rear camera then has the following characteristics.
- 108 MP with f / 1.8 aperture – 26 mm wide angle (PDAF, OIS)
- 48 MP with f / 3.5 aperture – 103 mm periscope (PDAF, OIS, 4x optical zoom, up to 10x hybrid zoom and digital zoom up to 100x)
- 12 MP with f / 2.2 aperture – 13mm ultra wide angle (super stable video)
- 0.3 MP with f / 1.0 aperture, TOF 3D VGA camera
- Video: 4320p @ 24fps, 2160p @ 60fps, 1080p @ 240fps, 720p @ 960fps, HDR10 +, gyro-EIS and OIS, dual-video recording
You can read the full review of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G here:
Do you have any of these smartphones or do you plan to have them soon?